Units 1, 2 and 3 LMC Report (Meeting of April 25th)

On Thursday, April 25th, the union’s Labour-Management Committee met with the employer to discuss a full agenda of issues for Units 1, 2, and 3. Many of the items that had been on the agenda for the past 2 months were returned to and updates requested. Several issues were resolved and progress was made on others.

Slow progress is being made on the improvements we have asked for regarding PER reporting for Unit 2, putting Work Histories online, making the T2200 tax form for home office expenses more accessible for members, and the Joint Committee on Childcare at Glendon. The explanation we were given for the slow movement was that these issues involve the input of multiple groups within the university who need to meet and discuss these issues.

The language which determines who qualifies for the 6% vacation pay continues to be debated. We will continue to pursue this at the next LMC.

The following issues have been resolved:

  • The archived postings which were missing from the CUPE Jobs site have been restored.
  • The CSSP Guarantee Payout Report should be forthcoming in the next few weeks.
  • Unit 1 members waiting for UHIP Funds should see the funds come in a week or two.
  • Research Cost Fund Spring deadline will be moved to the end of March.
  • FGS has created a form to opt in to receive funding in the summer rather than over three terms. The form will be online and those who want to opt-in should complete it by August 1st. An email will be sent to incoming student to inform them of their options.

In addition to the Unit 2 and all-unit issues discussed above, unresolved issues include:

  • Unit 1 members who are still waiting for retroactive pay must continue to wait until issues with overpayment are resolved.
  • The employer was told that the Unit 3 GA Assignment protocol, as it exists, will not work for the union nor for PI’s represented by YUFA. The employer agree and are going to look into this further. They will also contact the Research Officers to ensure they give the right advice to PI’s.
  • Proofs of the 2017-2020 collective agreements for units 1 and 2 have been received. However, the employer had added a new Article 11 to the Unit 1 CA which was never agreed to or awarded in arbitration. The employer must look into this matter and get back to us.

New items which were introduced at this meeting included:

  • Initiating a regular schedule across the university which would ensure that office computers were regularly updated.
  • Ensuring representation of Unit 2 members at department meetings.
  • Permitting Unit 2 members to keep office keys over the summer.
  • A request for an inquiry in the loss of work for Unit 2 members in Economics.

The next LMC meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 21st at 2 pm. At that meeting we hope to be able to resolve more of the outstanding issues.

Anyone who has an issue for the LMC should email their chief steward (cupe3903csu1@gmail.com, cupe3903chiefstewardunit2@gmail.com, cupe3903csu3@gmail.com) or LMC representative a week before the scheduled LMC meeting.