Welcome New Members!
Our Orientation 2020 page has important information for you.
Stewards’ Council is the political mobilization branch of the union. Stewards and interested members come together to discuss issues, plan political actions, and identify grievances. Stewards’ Council (SC) meetings generally take place once a month. Stewards are expected to attend SC meetings but all members are also welcome to attend and participate in them.
We are always looking for new stewards in all departments and are seeking to broaden representation of all four units on the Council. If you would like to be a steward, or know of others who do, contact one of the Chief Stewards. Being a steward is a great way both to learn about your rights, responsibilities, and benefits as an union member, and to protect these hard-won provisions with and for your colleagues.
Continue reading, below, and see the Members Manual for more information.
- Clarifying each unit’s CA provisions for members in their department or hiring unit.
- Answering questions from members in departments.
- Passing on reminders about union meetings and other information.
- Following through on members’ grievances (including attending grievance meetings with members).
- Organizing departmental meetings or actions, especially when collective responses are necessary.
- Informing members about the ways they can participate in and help shape the important political work of the Local.
- Encouraging member participation in the union’s day-to-day functioning.
- Keeping members informed about issues in the Local and important struggles in the community.
- Attending Stewards’ Council meetings and GMMs.
- Participation in Stewards’ Council subcommittees.
- Participation in union political campaigns.
Stewards receiving training for their role and the Chief Stewards are always available for additional support.
The Chief Stewards coordinate and mobilize all of the departmental/divisional Stewards, and chair Stewards’ Council meetings. There is a Chief Steward for each Unit. If you have any questions or want more information on becoming a Steward, please contact the Chief Steward for your unit.