The success of our strike vote mobilization depends on the strength of rank-and-file members throughout the union. We encourage you to get involved in the mobilization in your own department or across campus. Here are a few easy steps:
Talk to your students about the strike vote:
- Read this short, two-minute script at the beginning or the end of your lecture, class or tutorial. It explains the bargaining process and how it helps improve the quality of education at York.
- Ask your students to complete this survey, either in class or at home (let them know they could win a free iPad). Again, it explains how bargaining issues affect students. Take a few minutes to complete the survey yourself, so you’re familiar with all the answers.
- Direct your students to betterYork.ca. This website includes FAQs for students about bargaining, the strike vote and what happens in the event of a strike.
- Distribute to your students the information postcard that explains, “Why are we having a strike vote?” Thousands have already been distributed, but more are available in the CUPE 3903 office.
Get organized in your department:
- Put up some campaign and strike vote posters in your department or on your office door. Posters are available in the CUPE 3903 office.
- Distribute to members in your department the FAQ sheets that explain, “What are we bargaining for?” and “Why are we having a strike vote?” FAQ sheets and other print materials are available in the CUPE 3903 office. They are also available online here.
- Help organize a strike vote meeting in your department. Just pick a date and time, book a room, and let us know the details. We can make and help distribute posters, and arrange for a speaker to introduce the meeting. Email CUPE3903csu1@gmail.com.
- Join the call-through of members in your department. If you can call a few (or many) members in your department to let them know about the strike mandate vote, and why we need a strong strike mandate, let us know. Email CUPE3903chiefstewardunit2@gmail.com.
Make use of our online resources:
- Check out the bargaining section of the CUPE 3903 website, for regular Bargaining Team updates and FAQs about bargaining, and the mobilization section, to find out how to get involved.
- Share this video about CUPE 3903 with members, students, members of the York community, and your own family and friends. Help them learn more about CUPE 3903 and how we’re building a better York.
- Help us build our profile on social media. Like us on Facebook (and like and share all the latest posts), follow us on Twitter, and watch CUPE 3903 videos on our YouTube channel. Use the hashtags #betterYork and #CUPE3903.
- Sign up online to help with campus tabling, leafleting at TTC line-ups, putting up posters around campus, or organizing a meeting in your department.
Finally, don’t miss these meetings:
- Special General Membership Meeting on strike vote issues (1)
- Special General Membership Meeting on strike vote issues (2)
- Strike mandate vote
For more information, please contact us.