The Unit 4 bargaining team has recommended this offer for ratification. There will be a Special General Members’ Meeting on Zoom to discuss the offer on Monday, May 2 at 12pm. You can join the meeting here. The ratification vote will then take place online via SimplyVoting between Monday, May 2 and Friday, May 6.
If you have any questions about the offer, the meeting, or the vote, please don’t hesitate to contact Peter Gorman, Chief Steward Unit 4: email@example.com
You can read the full offer here. Below is a summary of what is included in the offer
- 1% compensation increase for every year. This is the maximum allowed by the Ford government’s Bill 124. The offer also includes a wage reopener clause which would allow us to renegotiate compensation if Bill 124 is found unconstitutional.
2. Conditions of Work
- Flexible hours. Members may, with the approval of their supervisor, exceed 17 hours of work per week as long as they do not exceed 17 hours on average over the length of the contract. This entrenches in our collective agreement the substance of a memorandum of understanding reached with the employer in May 2021.
- 14 days’ notice of appointment. Language has been strengthened to better ensure members receive proper advance notice of offers of appointment.
- No loss of work due to emergency weather closures. In the event that a member’s shift is cancelled due to a university-mandated weather closure, it will be rescheduled so they experience no loss of work.
- Letter of consideration around remote/hybrid work. Upon ratification, the employer will send a letter to the Chief Steward Unit 4 outlining the university’s commitment to consider the inclusion of employees in Unit 4 in its anticipated hybrid work policy, and in the interim to consider permitting remote work on an ad hoc basis.
- Access to the Research Grants Fund. This is a fund which disburses grants of up to $8,000 to encourage individual research and study, and defray research costs incurred by members. It is already available to Unit 2 members, and will now be made available to Unit 4 members as well.
- Additional seniority for service on the CUPE 3903 executive or bargaining team. This brings Unit 4 into line with the other three units, allowing members who serve on the union executive or bargaining team to accrue one additional unit of Applicable Prior Experience (seniority).
- Employment Equity Committee. Previously absent from our collective agreement, this now reflects the language in the other three units’ agreements around the Employment Equity Committee, and requires the employer to provide Unit 4 equity data annually.
Additional incumbency for certain equity-seeking groups. In keeping with the Libraries’ current Affirmative Action Plan, an additional six months of incumbency is extended to Indigenous or disabled members.