The following letter was sent by the CUPE 3903 Executive to Prime Minister Trudeau:
The CUPE 3903 Executive fully supports the recommendations of health providers and experts, like those in the Decent Work and Health Network to immediately legislate 10 permanent paid sick days, plus 14 during public health emergencies.
We are encouraged by your government’s commitment to legislate 10 permanent paid sick days in the Canada Labour Code within the first 100 days of its mandate.
To be effective, paid sick leave policy must be:
1. Adequate: 10 paid sick days plus 14 during public health emergencies, such as the COVID-19 pandemic
2. Universal: all workers are able to access them with no exceptions
3. Fully-Paid: employees must receive full wages on their regular paycheck
4. Permanent: no more expiry dates
5. Seamlessly accessible: employer-provided with no proof of illness required and no waiting periods
You have the opportunity to set a standard for paid sick and emergency leave policy across North America. We hope you will carefully consider the above principles and implement a robust paid sick days plan as soon as possible. Your urgent action will provide the leadership necessary to push the provinces and territories to follow.
CUPE 3903 Chairperson
On behalf of CUPE 3903 Executive Committee
cc: Doug Ford, Seamus O’Regan