The Childcare Fund is a fund in the amount of $200,000 per year, which was won for 2015-2016 and 2016-2017. It is meant to offset the childcare costs for members with childcare responsibilities.
The deadline for this round of applications is October 14, 2016 with funds being dispersed on October 31, 2016. Since a new committee has taken over the responsibility of adjudicating the fund, the deadlines for this round of applications have been extended. After this term, deadlines will revert to the last day of the first month of the each semester (Jan. 31, May 31).
Members are eligible if they meet the following conditions:
- Have childcare responsibilities, defined as guardianship or parenting (regardless of custody arrangement or legal standing)
- Have children under the age of thirteen (under 13 years old) and/or children with disabilities/additional needs (intellectual, psychiatric, physical, social, sensory) under the age of eighteen (under 18 years old).
- The benefit is per employee regardless of the number of children involved
- Members may choose to opt out of this benefit; if they opt out the money will be re-allocated to other eligible members.
- This benefits applies to all members regardless of leave status, including but not limited to parental leave, long or short term disability and research leaves. Neither the union nor the employer shall choose the childcare provision arrangements.
How to Apply
Fill out and return the application form either in person or by mail to the CUPE 3903 office (the form is available as a Word document or PDF). We do not accept applications via email. You will need to provide proof of parental responsibilities by providing documentation such as, but not exclusive to, copies of birth certificates or guardianship papers. Please note that you also need to provide you social insurance number and date of birth.
For children with disabilities/additional needs a letter from a medical care provider shall be submitted.
The union will destroy all personal information with the exceptions of the fact that you have children, the age of your youngest child, and whether any of your children have different abilities.
Forms can be dropped off or mailed to CUPE 3903:
143 Atkinson Building
96 The Pond Road
4700 Keele Street,
Childcare benefits will be disbursed each semester. The total amount of the childcare fund will be divided into three (Fall, Winter, Summer). The total amount of the fund will be divided equally among members with childcare responsibilities. The disbursements will be paid out (cheques to be picked up or put in the mail) by the last day of the second month of the semester.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact the committee at email@example.com.